Renee's New Brush

Renee's New Brush



"It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting."
Agatha Christie

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Crescent Lake

Crescent Lake
Acrylic on canvas, 5 x 7 inches. $95.00

Hello. I have painted several small landscapes lately and I am really enjoying them. I am currently painting a hummingbird. A young person, who is very dear to me, has asked me to paint a hummingbird wearing very large glasses. I thought I might give it a try. One would think that after painting and drawing many many birds, I might have noticed that most bird's eyes are on the sides of their heads, and, that they do not wear glasses. Occasionally a bird will fly into one of our windows. While they almost always shake themselves off and fly away, it is a pretty painful event for all concerned. So, I am thinking glasses on hummingbirds may be a really good and necessary accessory. The difficulty is how to put glasses on a bird with an eye on the side of it's head that does not look odd. Okay, I know the whole idea is a bit odd but there is a real perspective puzzle here. I have drawn more than a few pictures, nothing I am happy with yet, but if I could just get a hummingbird to hold still for a bit...
Penelope

1 comment: