Renee's New Brush

Renee's New Brush



"It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting."
Agatha Christie

Monday, February 1, 2010

Apples

Apples
8 x 10, Acrylic. $145.00

I have decided to try to stay with one subject for a while. For those of you who know my work, you know that I paint a wide variety of objects, including, African collectibles, birds, landscapes, decoys, vintage collectibles, etc. It has been a while since I have painted fruit. I don't know why, but, for me, painting fruit is very difficult. I have heard it said that "anybody can paint a pear." What could possibly be the difference between painting a pear, and say, painting a fish decoy? They both require a lot of color, their shapes are interesting but not impossible, they are both small and charming in their own way. I don't know what it is except that fruit psyches me out and decoys don't. So I will work on fruit for a while, alas.

Speaking of psyching out, I have discovered that I am unable to finish a painting in a day. Adding the pressure of finishing a painting every day ups the angst ante to a level that negates the reason I paint. I do paint everyday. Well, almost everyday. When I am not painting, I am reading about painting, or researching painting at galleries or museums, or buying supplies, or blogging, or, well, you get the picture. I think the value in finishing paintings more quickly, is that it does not allow you to spend endless hours massaging every bird feather and nest twig. Two of my favorite daily painters are Qiang Huang and Carol Marine. Although their styles are different, they each paint quickly and loosely, a painters holy grail. I haven't given up, but for now, I just need to have an extra day, or two.

Penelope

1 comment:

  1. Hey, don'y beat yourself up for not finishing a painting a day. There are many great painters that feel the same way. I'd rather see the love through the strokes than some half felt application! You are a very versital painter, keep up the beautiful work! I really like the apples, they smile at me. I like the mellow colors!

    ReplyDelete