Renee's New Brush

Renee's New Brush



"It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting."
Agatha Christie

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Attraction



Attraction

8" x 10" Acrylic on canvas, $125.


I painted "Attraction" to see how small I could paint a hummingbird and still have a lot of detail. I was able to achieve the translucence of the wings I was looking for, (once again using zinc white, moonglow and acrylic glazing liquid), but what I really like are the feet. The bowl of shiny red cherries, with their come hither glow, would definitely attract a hummingbird.


I have to be careful about what I place on my dining table. Anything that catches a hummingbird's eye will draw them closer to investigate, which is great if there isn't glass between the hummingbird and the object of interest. I never put flowers on my table anymore. Most of the time these little birds will come close to the window and just hover there to see if there are any nectar possibilities, however, if the object they fancy is really red or really enticing due to shape, color, or sheen, they have been known to fly into the glass, which is really awful for the bird and the bird viewer. It has only happened once and the bird was okay, but now, for the most part, decorative objects are banned from the table. Thanks for looking!


Penelope

No comments:

Post a Comment