Renee's New Brush

Renee's New Brush



"It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting."
Agatha Christie

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Decoy

Ice Fishing Decoy
8" x 10", Acrylic on canvas, $145.00.

Hello! I painted this Ice Fishing decoy yesterday. The fish is from one of my vintage collections. These decoys are a form of folk art that were used mainly in the icy states, particularly the state of Minnesota. They are attached by a string to a pole, then sunk into the water through a hole which has been dug into the ice. Then, the fisher person wiggles the decoy in a "come hither" way until a curious fish approaches. Then a spear happens and, well, you know. I love this art form. These decoys are carved wood, with all sorts of metal attachments, from thumb tacks, to forks, to whatever the artist felt would be the most enticing. They are painted in a realistic or crazy way. Most of the decoys in my collection date between the 1930's to 1960's. I might paint another tomorrow. Maybe a frog. I hope you like it!
Penelope

p.s. Thanks so much to my followers for your continued support! P.

1 comment:

  1. It makes me want to grab my pole and go fishing! Beautiful fish out of water!
    I confess, your blog has aroused my attention and interest! Thanks for sharing yourself. Your work is delightful!
    I was wondering....is is really called work when your paintings reflect that you truly love what you do?

    ReplyDelete