Renee's New Brush

Renee's New Brush



"It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting."
Agatha Christie

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Turbulent Sky

Turbulent Sky
16" x 20", Acrylic on canvas. Collection of Loretta Spencer.

Hello. I rarely paint landscapes. So far, all of the landscapes I paint come from the same image. The results are always vastly different in terms of color and composition. I don't know why the particular photo I use evokes such emotion in me. The paintings that result from this image have been as small as 2" x 2" to the largest one to date, 18" x 24". I have a very large canvas that I have been looking at for about five years. Maybe a landscape.
I have heard it said recently that creating art is all about problem solving. Well, I really took issue with this. What about passion, technique, discovery, insight, joy, pain, etc. After much internal dialog I have to admit that I too think creating is all about problem solving. The first problem to arise is the classic, "What do I paint?" Although this process is a passionate one for me, given all of the hair-pulling, pacing, setting up (then rejecting), numerous still lifes, at its core it is about problem solving. On rare occasions, I get lucky and an idea will come to me on winged feet. It is always a great surprise when this happens and can result in numerous paintings, such as the landscape series. Turbulent Sky is one of my favorites.
Penelope

ps. I started the frog.

1 comment:

  1. OK, Turbulent sky is my new favorite! It has drawn me into it! I can feel goosbumps shiver up my spine as the clouds creep over the hills...The air is chilling...the Turbulant sky is the prelude to the storm! WOW!

    ReplyDelete