Renee's New Brush

Renee's New Brush



"It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting."
Agatha Christie

Friday, January 15, 2010

Open Window

Open Window
"16 x 20", Acrylic on Canvas, $325.

Hello. "Open Window" was my first attempt to paint hummingbird wings in flight. The wings appear translucent due to their incredible speed so I wasn't sure how to approach my goal. I decided to try Daniel Smith's Moonglow for its grayed deep violet and transparency, then I mixed it with Golden's acrylic glazing liquid to further reduce the opacity, added a bit of Mars Black, and a bit of Zinc White, and voila, hummingbird wings. I also wanted to paint another of my favorite objects, my jade vase, that I found at the old Gumps store in San Francisco many years ago. Finally, I added the lure of the single pink flower. The painting is actually lighter than it shows on the blog. Hope you like it!

Penelope

1 comment:

  1. That Hummingbird actually looks like it's flying! How cool is that?!

    ReplyDelete