Renee's New Brush

Renee's New Brush



"It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting."
Agatha Christie

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Small Asian Vase

Small Asian Vase
4" x 4" framed Acrylic on gessoboard. $100.


I love this bronze vase for its wonderful patina and the amazing lines of the elephant head as it curves onto the throat of the vase. This beautiful piece has been in my collection for many years and I have painted it more than a few times. I love paintings with a single object as its focal point. Which brings me back to my "art as problem solving" point of view. From early childhood we are told to "paint out of the lines." That it is not only okay, but that it is highly desirable to break all of the rules where art is concerned. There are no rules! But just try it. At the beginning of most classes, workshops, demos, that I have taken, the instructor begins by reiterating the "no rules" rule. Yeah! And then the rules rush in. The rule of three: a single object is boring, two objects mundane, Ah three--perfect. Next, the "placement on the canvas" rule emerges. "Never in the center. Never in the center top to bottom. Never in the center left to right. You must offset the focal point to the right of the vertical center, then place it lower then the horizontal center line. There, now isn't that better? Uh, no, I like to place one big thing in the center, like "cookie jar." It's not that I am not teachable, I just take a while. I am going to start a painting of an old African flute, WITH, a very small Acoma pot next to it. Its still not the magic of three, but its a start. Thanks for listening.
Penelope

1 comment:

  1. I not only viewed your painting but more than that, I listened to your blog. I really like what you said. It holds true to photography also. But, really, are there boundries? I don't think so.....

    ReplyDelete